After going vegan, one of the few foods I missed were deviled eggs. I thought it was going to be impossible to ever find that taste again, and something about the idea of replacing the egg with tofu wasn’t cutting it for me. I searched the internet and found a recipe on VegWeb for Potato Angels that looked really, really good. And by golly, were they! These devilish little potato bites are an incredible replacement to the classic deviled egg. They melt in your mouth and are totally comparable to the egg version. I didn’t completely follow the recipe, so here’s what I did to make em:
What you’ll need:
A bag of mini gold potatoes
5 TBS Vegenaise
1/4 Chopped Onion
1/2 tsp Yellow Mustard & 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
Turmeric, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Himalayan Pink Salt, Pepper, Paprika
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut each potato in half, and coat with olive oil. Lay face down, in a single layer, on an oiled baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes. Check frequently to make sure they don’t get mushy!
3. While potatoes are cooking, mix together the rest of the ingredients (except the paprika) either by hand or in a food processor.
4. Once the potatoes are done cooking, scoop out the center of the flat side with a spoon. You can add some of the potato insides to the vegenaise/mustard mixture – though I don’t recommend adding the insides of all the potatoes to it as it may get too thick and gloopy.
5. Add the vegenaise/mustard mixture to the hole you made in each potato, and sprinkle with paprika.